In the Valley of Trouble, Dig a Well

"Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee, in whose heart are the ways of them, who passing through the valley of Baca, make it a well; the rain also fills the pools. They go from strength to strength—every one of them in Zion appeareth before God."
--Psalm 84:5-7 (KJV)

Some time ago, after I'd preached on this verse, my friend, Jim Burmeister, loaned me a casette tape by Jack Hyles on the "The Valley of Baca."

Jack Hyles was snortin', yellin', narrow minded, independant, fundamentalist Baptist preacher. But a few years ago, he went home to glory and his rough edges have been sanded off. He's probably a gentle Wesleyan now.

I wasn't too eager to hear Hyles yell at me, so postponed playing the tape as long as I could.   Then, one day, on a long drive to St. Mary's Hospital in Duluth, I finally gave it a shot.   I was surprised to discover substance beyond the snorting,  Ol' brother Jack actually preached a very good sermon to me -- hollerin' all the way. My heart was blessed.  My soul was challenged.  "Though he is dead, yet shall he speak."

Basically, there were two points:

1. Everybody, sooner or later, has to go through the Valley of Baca.

Baca is the place of weeping -- sickness, sorrow, trouble, loss.

2. When you are in the Valley of Baca, Dig a Well!

Dig a well for those who will follow after you -- those who will experience the same sufferings. Don't just waste your trial -- dig a well to be a source of hope and blessing to others who will follow the same path.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies