Look Past the Troubled Waters


Photo by Wes Wilson
I wrote this poem several years ago in a hospital waiting room in Duluth, Minnesota, while anxiously awaiting the report from my loved one's surgery.

It was a windy day, and in the distance, Lake Superior's waves crashed violently on the shore.   The troubled waters matched my spirit.  But then, I took a longer look.  I lifted my eyes up to the horizon and saw the situation from a different perspective.  I hope my little verse can lift the spirit of someone facing the wind and waves:

Troubled waters swirl and crash
in restless waves
upon the Great Lake's southern side.

And somehow, I identify
with heavy sighings.

But still, looking up and long
I see a large horizon
deep waters fading blue,
reaching up to touch the morning sky.

And in my sighings,
hope's arising. . .

Just in time to whisper,
"All is well. Peace be still."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings